|Born||Rajanpur, Punjab, Pakistan|
Became editor of Daily Awam Karachi in 1994|
Interviewed Benazir Bhutto, King Fahd Bin Abdul Aziz, Mullah Mohammed Omar, Chandrika Kumaratunga, Sheikh Hasina, V. P. Singh, Ahmad Shah Massoud, Man Mohan Adhikari, Tony Benn, Andy Brooks, David Anderson, Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, Mohammad Yunus Khalis, Anura Bandaranaike.
Became Editor of Daily Jang in 2012.
Became the Senior Executive Vice President of BOL Media Group in 2015.
|Title||President and Editor-in-Chief, BOL Media Group|
Early life and career
Nazir Leghari was born in Rajanpur, Punjab, Pakistan. He came to Karachi as a young boy and finished his basic education in that city. He further went on to receive his law degree from the University of Karachi. Leghari is also the author of four books, Siyaasat e Douraan, Seenay Jhokan Deedain Deray, based on his visits to Saudi Arabia, Egypt and the UK, Tareekh Bolti Hai comprising his interviews and meetings with more than 15 world leaders and his book Arz-e-Haal.
Leghari is also a veteran newspaper columnist.
In January 2015, Nazir Leghari joined BOL Media Group as Senior Executive Vice President and Editor Urdu Daily of BOL News and later in December 2018 became the President and Editor-in-Chief of BOL Media Group.
Early life and education
Nazir Leghari joined Daily Nawa e Waqt in 1981.
He joined Daily Jang in 1985 as In-charge London desk. In 1986 he took charge of political edition. In 1987 he took charge of editorial page of Daily Jang. In 1989 he be became magazine editor of Daily Jang. In 1990 he was assigned as Assistant Editor (news) Daily Jang.
In 1993, he established a newspaper Daily Public along with Anwar Sen Roy as its editor. He was the News Editor and chief reporter of Daily Public.
In August 1994, Nazir Leghari joined the newspaper Daily Awam as Editor. In 2006, he started writing a column in Daily Jang on a regular basis. In 2008, he was appointed to work as member of Editorial Committee of Geo News along with his other responsibilities. In 2012, he was appointed as the Editor of Daily Jang, the largest circulating newspaper of Pakistan.
In January 2015, he left Jang Group and joined BOL Media Group as Senior Executive Vice President and is currently working there.
In October 2016, he became the 'President and Editor-in-Chief' of BOL Media Group. He is also currently a part of the show 'Ab Baat Hogi' on BOL News which airs at 11:00 pm from Monday to Friday. This show replaced the old show 'Top Five Breaking' which was aired on the channel from December 2016 till June 2018.
Nazir Leghari is the author of four books:
- Siyaasat e Douraan
- Seenay Jhokan Deedain Deray, based on his visits to Saudi Arabia, Egypt and UK.
- Tareekh Bolti Hai comprising the interviews and meetings with, more than 15 persons including World leaders. The interviewees include Benazir Bhutto, King Fahd Bin Abdul Aziz, Mullah Mohammed Omar, Chandrika Kumaratunga, Sheikh Hasina, V. P. Singh, Ahmad Shah Massoud, Man Mohan Adhikari, Tony Benn, Andy Brooks, David Anderson, Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, Mohammad Yunus Khalis, Anura Bandaranaike and Commander Engineer Faiz Mohammad Mengal. The main topics of the interviews were Islam, Democracy, Communism and liberalism with special perspective of South Asia, Central Asia, Middle East and Europe.
- Arz-e-Haal – his latest book
Notable work and credits
He interviewed many politicians during historic movement of MRD. He interviewed Agha Saddaruddin Durrani (former Speaker Sindh Assembly), Abdul Hafeez Lakho (council for Mr Zulfikar Ali Bhutto in Supreme Court) Mir Hazar Khjan Bijarani, President PPP Sindh, Syed Saeed Hassan (former MPA Sindh), Justice Shafi Mohammadi, Hakim Ali Zardari (father of Asif Ali Zardari) and many others. He wrote 80 biographical episodes of G Allana, (1st mayor of Karachi after independence, close relative to founder of Nation Quaid e Azam Mohammnad Ali Jinnah and a renowned English poet).
In 1987-8 he interviewed for weekly Akhbar e Jahan more than 50 Pakistani politicians including Benazir Bhutto, Khan Abdul Wali Khan, Mir Ghaus Bakhsh Bizanjo, Mian Mumtaz Mohammad Khan Doultana, Fazal Rahu, G M Syed, Malik Meraj Khalid, Meraj Mohammad Khan, Dr Mubbashir Hassan, Sardar Shaukat Ali, Jam Saqi, Syed Alam Shah, Nawabzada Nasarullah Khan, Maulana Fazal Ur Rehman, Maulana Shah Ahmed Noorani, Shah Farid ul Haque, Abdul Hafiz Pirzada, Mumtaz Ali Bhutto, Ghulam Mustafa Jatoi, Sardar Sher Baz Khan Mazari, Nawab Akbar Khan Bugti, Prince Mohiuddin Baloch, Justice S Anwar ul Haque, Justice Dorab Patel, Justice Fakharuddin G Ibrahim, Justice Yaqoob Khan, Hanif Ramay, Malik Qasim, Khawaja Khairuddin, Fatehyab Ali Khan, Maulana Shah Mohammad Amroti and many others.
Awards and honors
- Profile of Nazir Leghari, whoiswhoinpakistan.wordpress.com website, Retrieved 25 September 2017
- "Nazir Leghari's book 'Seenay Jhokan Deedain Deray' launch pictures". 17 July 2006. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- "History has an equally futuristic aspect to it (Nazir Leghari's book 'Tareekh Bolti Hai' launched)". The News International (newspaper). 13 October 2013. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- "President approves national civil awards for eminent personalities". mediacellppp.wordpress.com website. 14 August 2013. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- "Nazir Laghari Joins BOL Network". bolnetwork.com website. 29 January 2015. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- Bhutto legacy and lack of alternatives equal PPP dominance, Dawn (newspaper), Published 4 April 2012, Retrieved 25 September 2017
- "G Allana – a man of many facets". The News International (newspaper). 8 March 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- President approves national civil awrds for 2014, The Express Tribune (newspaper), Published 14 August 2013, Retrieved 25 September 2017