January 2, 1968 |
Toledo, Ohio, US
|Residence||Tucson, Arizona, US|
|Alma mater||University of Illinois (MS); Carnegie Mellon University (MS)|
|Known for||Co-founder and past Executive Director of Vegan Outreach|
|Notable work||The Animal Activist's Handbook (with Bruce Friedrich) (2009)|
Matthew Michael Ball (born January 2, 1968) is an American animal activist. He is co-founder and President of One Step for Animals, and Senior Media Relations Specialist for The Good Food Institue . Previously, he was Director of Engagement and Outreach at Farm Sanctuary, and before that, Senior Advisor for VegFund. In 1993, Ball co-founded Vegan Outreach. Ball served as the group’s Executive Director for 21 years. Ball is credited with helping shift the animal rights' movement to more utilitarian focus, including a focus on chickens. He is the co-author, with Bruce Friedrich, of The Animal Activist's Handbook (2009), and The Accidental Activist (2014). He was inducted into the Animal Rights Hall of Fame in 2005.
Ball was born in Toledo, Ohio. His parents are Cornelius Francis Ball and Judith Anderson Ball, both of Toledo. Cornelius Ball is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame. Before founding Vegan Outreach, Matt Ball obtained an M.S. in Forest Ecology at the University of Illinois, and an M.S. in Engineering and Public Policy at Carnegie Mellon University, during which time he was a Department of Energy Global Change Fellow. He also held a research fellowship in the Department of Biology at the University of Pittsburgh.
Ball married Anne Green, a fellow vegan and coworker at Vegan Outreach, on February 20, 1993 in Urbana, Illinois. Their daughter Ellen Katya Green was born on July 16, 1994, in Pennsylvania and was raised as a vegan. They live in Tucson, Arizona.
Ball says: "[W]e must focus on getting people to consider their first step toward compassion, rather than arguing for our current philosophy or diet. Most non-vegetarians tune out when told to go vegan but may consider starting to make changes like adopting Meatless Mondays or eating fewer chickens."
- "Descendents of James McNamara and Joanne Moore". Ancestry.com. Archived from the original on 2014-03-10. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "Ball Family - Matthew Michael Ball". Family Record. Archived from the original on 2014-03-10. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
Martin Ball › Virgil George Ball › Cornelius Francis Ball › Matthew Michael Ball
- "Official Announcement". A Meaningful Life, A Better World. 2014-09-25. Retrieved 2015-01-21.
We are very excited to announce that Matt Ball is joining the VegFund team!
- "Matt Ball". New York City: Lantern Books. Archived from the original on 2014-02-20. Retrieved 2014-02-19.
- The "Biographies" chapter in Ball, Matt; Friedrich, Bruce (2009-04-06). The Animal Activist's Handbook: Maximizing Our Positive Impact in Today's World. Lantern Books. ASIN 1590561201. ISBN 978-1590561201. Lay summary – The Huffington Post (2009-04-13).
- "U.S. Animal Rights Hall of Fame". Animal Rights National Conference. Farm Animal Rights Movement. Archived from the original on 2014-03-17. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- "Ball Family - Cornelius Francis Ball". Family Record. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "Commencement Exercises" (PDF). University of Notre Dame. 1959-08-04. p. 15. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
THE COLLEGE OF ARTS AND LETTERS ... The Degree of Bachelor of Arts on: ... Cornelius Francis Ball, Rye, New York
- French, Frank (2002-04-08). "On Being Vegan" (Enewsletter). Vegan Outreach. Archived from the original on 2014-02-20. Retrieved 2014-02-19.
Anne and Matt were married in February, 1993, and when Anne became pregnant in the fall of that year, they agreed their child would be raised as a vegan.
- Ball, Matt (2009-06-07). "Letter to a Young Matt". Vegan Outreach. Archived from the original on 2014-02-20. Retrieved 2014-02-19.
I’m married to a vegan
- Singer, Peter, ed. (2005-08-26). "Notes on contributors". In Defense of Animals: The Second Wave. Wiley-Blackwell. ASIN 1405119411. ISBN 978-1405119412. Lay summary (2010-02-24).
- "Ball Family - Ellen Katya Green". Family Record. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "Vegan Children". VeganHealth.org. April 2013. Archived from the original on 2014-02-20. Retrieved 2014-02-19.
[Since Ellen's] birth, along with her parents Matt Ball and Anne Green, she has lived as a vegan.
- Ball, Matt (2013-03-25). "Chapter 1". In Davidow, Ben. Uncaged: Top Activists Share Their Wisdom on Effective Farm Animal Advocacy (Kindle ed.). San Francisco: Ben Davidow. ASIN B00C0NF36G. Lay summary – Humane Research Council (2013-10-22).
- "Be Joyous and Humble: An Interview with Matt Ball". Vegan Outreach. 2002.
Don’t argue. Offer information, and be honest and humble. Read How to Win Friends and Influence People
- "麥特保爾 Matt Ball 的訪談(更長版本)" [Be Joyous and Humble: An Interview with Matt Ball]. Vegan Outreach (in Chinese). 2002.
別和他爭論。提供資訊﹐並且要誠實和謙卑。讀讀<怎樣交朋友和影響別人>這 本書. Written in traditional Chinese characters.
- "麦特保尔 Matt Ball 的访谈(更长版本)" [Be Joyous and Humble: An Interview with Matt Ball]. Vegan Outreach (in Chinese). 2002.
别和他争论。提供资讯，并且要诚实和谦卑。读读<怎样交朋友和影响别 人>这本书. Written in simplified Chinese characters.
- EarthSave Portland (2003). "Interview with Matt Ball by EarthSave Portland". Vegan Outreach.
In general, people ... don’t want to be miserable. They want to be happy. Only those who seek solace (and/or identity) in rage will react well to arrogance and loathing; we can’t limit [our outreach] only to the conceited.
- Fuente Vegana (January 2010). "Interview with Matt Ball by Fuente Vegana". Vegan Outreach.
'Rights,' 'veganism,' and other human constructs are irrelevant -- all that matters is reducing as much suffering as possible.
- "Ayudar a los animales: Entrevista con Matt Ball" [Helping animals: Interview with Matt Ball]. Fuente Vegana (in Spanish). January 2010.
'Los derechos', 'el veganismo' y otras construcciones humanas son irrelevantes, todo lo que importa es reducir la mayor cantidad de sufrimiento posible.
- "Meet The Man Behind Vegan Outreach". MadeJustRight-EarthBalanceNatural. 2010-12-08.
I'll take medicines that have been tested on animals, I'll drink tap water filtered with bone char, I'll eat a veggie burger cooked in a non-vegan restaurant, etc. -- all things that some vegans consider to be 'non-vegan.'
- "ARZone interview with Matt Ball". Animal Rights Zone Transcripts. 2011-02-12.
So the point isn't to show how into veganism I am, how much I know, how easy it is for me, or even, necessarily, what it will be like for them in X months. Rather, our goal should be to engage the person from where they are at the moment.
- "ACE Interviews: Matt Ball - Part 1". Animal Charity Evaluators. San Diego. 2014-04-08.
Suffering is the bottom line, and reducing suffering as much as possible must be the singular goal. To choose the best tactic for reducing suffering as much as possible, all other considerations need to be set aside.
- "ACE Interviews: Matt Ball - Part 2". Animal Charity Evaluators. San Diego. 2014-04-08.
Even though many vegans are quick to embrace and promote any and all claims that sound vaguely anti-meat, concerns for health have led to billions and billions of chickens suffering immensely
- Ball, Matt (2014-06-21). "Interview with Matt Ball". Our Hen House (Interview). Interview with Jasmin Singer and Mariann Sullivan. New York City.
- Ball, Matt (2014-06-30). Green, Anne, ed. Accidental Activist: Stories, Speeches, Articles, and Interviews by Vegan Outreach's Cofounder. Lantern Books. ASIN 1590564545. ISBN 978-1-59056-454-7. , Foreword by Peter Singer, Introduction by Paul Shapiro.
- Ball, Matt (December 2013) . "A Meaningful Life: Making a Real Difference in Today's World". Vegan Outreach.
- Ball, Matt (December 2013). "A Meaningful Life: Making a Real Difference in Today's World". Vegan Outreach (16-page pamphlet).
- Ball, Matt (2012). "Donner un sens à sa vie: comment agir dans le monde aujourd'hui" [Giving a meaning to one's life: how to act in the world today]. Vegan Outreach (in French).
- Ball, Matt (2013-03-25). "Chapter 1". In Davidow, Ben. Uncaged: Top Activists Share Their Wisdom on Effective Farm Animal Advocacy (Kindle ed.). San Francisco: Ben Davidow. ASIN B00C0NF36G.
- Ball, Matt; Friedrich, Bruce (2009-04-06). The Animal Activist's Handbook: Maximizing Our Positive Impact in Today's World. Lantern Books. ASIN 1590561201. ISBN 978-1590561201. Foreword by Ingrid Newkirk.
- Ball, Matt (2005-08-26). "Chapter 14: Living and Working in Defense of Animals". In Singer, Peter. In Defense of Animals: The Second Wave. Wiley-Blackwell. ASIN 1405119411. ISBN 978-1405119412.
- Eisman, George; Ball, Matt; Green, Anne (1994) . The Most Noble Diet: Food Selection and Ethics (4th ed.). Burdett, New York: Diet-Ethics. ISBN 978-0961443511. Foreword by Michael Klaper, M.D.
- A Meaningful Life, A Better World (Matt Ball's blog)