Despite its name it covers large parts of the Llanelli urban area, including Bynea, Llwynhendy, Cefncaeau, Pemberton, Bryn, Cwmcarnhywel Penceilogi, Dafen, Felinfoel, Swiss Valley, along with the villages of Pont-Henri Pontiets, Pwll, and Five Roads, as well as a number of hamlets. The community entirely surrounds Llanelli, except at the coast.
The community of Llanelli Rural is bordered by the communities of: Llanelli; Pembrey and Burry Port Town; Trimsaran; Llangyndeyrn; Pontyberem; Llannon; and Llangennech, all being in Carmarthenshire; and by: Gorseinon; Llwchwr; Gowerton; Llanrhidian Higher; and Llanrhidian Lower, all being in the City and County of Swansea.
Llanelli Rural Council
Current political make-up
Following elections in May 2017 the council is made up of:
Labour - 13 members
Plaid Cymru - 4 members
Independents - 3 members
People First - 1 member
The council elected Cllr. Tegwen Devischand as leader and she pledged to continue to cooperate with Llanelli Town Council and the Carmarthenshire County Council, converting Llwynhendy Education Centre and Pwll Education Centre for local community use.
- Bynea – 3 councillors. Cllrs. Michelle Donoghue, S.Donoghue, I. Wooldridge.
- Dafen – 4 councillors. Cllrs. S. Davies* (county for Llwynhendy), S.Lewis, A.Rogers, T. Devischand
- Felinfoel – 2 councillors. Cllrs. J. Evans, B.Thomas*
- Glyn - 2 councillors. Cllrs. J. Jones*, C. Rees
- Hengoed – 4 councillors. Cllrs. S. Caiach, M. Davids, P. Edwards*, S. Phillips*
- Llwynhendy – 4 councillors. Cllrs. F. Akhtar*, M.Najmi, J.Hart, E.Simmons
- Swiss Valley – 2 councillors. Cllrs. G. Morgan*, J. Randell .
* Those with an asterisk are also members of Carmarthenshire County Council for the same Rural area unless otherwise stated
Chairs of Council
- 2017/18 Cllr John Evans
- 2016/17 Cllr Stephen M Donoghue
- 2015/16 Cllr Martin Davies
- 2014/15 Cllr Lindy J Butler
- 2013/14 Cllr Thomas J Jones
- 2012/13 Cllr Tegwen Devischand
|This Carmarthenshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|