Feldmann with his Martin acoustic at Foxy Studios
|Also known as||Feldy|
|Born||June 29, 1967|
John William Feldmann (born June 29, 1967) is an American musician and producer. He has produced and co-written songs accounting for sales of more than 34 million albums worldwide—6 million alone from 2011 to 2015—and is also the lead singer/guitarist of the band Goldfinger. He is an animal rights advocate.
Feldmann started playing music when he was 16 after hearing Mommy's Little Monster by Social Distortion. His first band was Saratoga-based Family Crisis. He moved to Los Angeles in 1988 and formed a band called Electric Love Hogs where he met future Goldfinger bassist Kelly LeMieux. The Electric Love Hogs (which also included Dave Kushner of Velvet Revolver and Bobby Hewitt of Orgy) were signed to Polygram in 1990 and put out one album.
Feldmann formed Goldfinger in 1994 when he met original Goldfinger bassist Simon Williams in a shoe store where they were both working. The group was signed to Mojo/Universal in 1995.
During his time as an A&R Representative for Warner Bros. Records & Maverick Records, Feldmann signed The Used, Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows, Showoff, City Sleeps, Story of the Year, Foxy Shazam, and Mest.
He has done production work and songwriting for The Cab, The Veronicas, Good Charlotte, Mest, The Used, Story of the Year, Ashlee Simpson, ONE OK ROCK, Hilary Duff, Goldfinger, Showoff, The Matches, Atreyu, City Sleeps, Anthony Green, Beat Union, Cute Is What We Aim For, Escape the Fate, After Midnight Project, Foxy Shazam, All Time Low, Allstar Weekend, Panic! at the Disco, Boys Like Girls, Plain White T's, 5 Seconds of Summer, Blink-182, Black Veil Brides, Andy Black, Sleeping With Sirens, Stick to Your Guns, and Set It Off.
Feldmann is a former A&R Consultant for Red Bull Records. He has signed Itch (formerly of King Blues), Blitz Kids, and Beartooth. In 2016, John became the Vice President of A&R at BMG and also inked a publishing deal with the company to sign and develop new talent.
Most recently he produced the seventh studio album for Blink 182 titled "California" which landed both he and the band their first Grammy nomination for "Best Rock Album". Also in July 2017 John was awarded the "Influencer" Award at the Alt Press Music Awards (APMAs).
Feldmann is a vegan and vocal activist for animal rights. He became a vegetarian after seeing the movie Babe in 1995. He usually has animal rights material to give out at Goldfinger shows. He has spoken on behalf of the animal rights organizations PETA and Action for Animals. Feldmann has appeared in the documentary films Behind The Mask and Skin Trade. He has also appeared in the film Bold Native.
- Keith, Shannon. Behind the Mask, Uncaged Films, 2006.
- Obert, Alex (August 22, 2014). "On The Line with John Feldmann of Goldfinger". Journey of a Frontman. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- Friedman, David. "Take notice: Goldfinger's back". NewsTimes. Retrieved 8 August 2017.
- "We Came As Romans Detail New Album "Tracing Back Roots"". The PRP. May 20, 2013. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- "Official Twitter of Alexander DeLeon". May 18, 2011. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- "Which tracks did Feldmann produce?". Formspring.me. Archived from the original on 2012-08-01. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- "Why'd you guys decide to record with John Feldman this time instead of Joey Sturgis?". Formspring.me. Archived from the original on 2012-06-30. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- "Am I the Enemy? - The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus". AllMusic. 2011-08-30. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Best Kind of Mess - Get Scared". AllMusic. 2011-07-12. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- "Alternative Press | News | D.R.U.G.S. post first studio update". Altpress.com. 2010-08-31. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- "D.R.U.G.S. - Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows". AllMusic. 2011-02-21. Retrieved 2011-09-11.