Great Synagogue (Gibraltar)
|Great Synagogue of Gibraltar|
Torah ark in the Great Synagogue, early 20th century.
|Location||47/49 Engineer Lane
The Great Synagogue of Gibraltar, also known as Kahal Kadosh Sha'ar HaShamayim (Hebrew: קהל קדוש שער השמיים), is located in the British overseas territory of Gibraltar, and was the first synagogue on the Iberian Peninsula to operate since the expulsions from Spain and Portugal in 1492 and 1497 respectively.
Sha'ar HaShamayim Synagogue was founded in 1724 by Isaac Nieto from London. It was inaugurated in 1724 on a plot of land granted to the Jews by the then Governor of Gibraltar, Richard Kane. Having been rebuilt several times, the present building largely dates from 1812 and shares features in common with the parent Spanish and Portuguese Amsterdam Esnoga (1675) and Bevis Marks Synagogue (1701). The facade of the two-and-a-half-story, domestic-scale building features round-arched windows flanking a round-arched doorway.
- Synagogues of Gibraltar
- History of the Jews in Gibraltar
- Sahar Hassamain Synagogue
- Synagogue of Funchal
- "Official Government of Gibraltar London Website". Archived from the original on 2007-03-06. Retrieved 2007-05-29.
- "Gibraltar Jewish Heritage". Jewish Heritage UK. Archived from the original on 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2012-12-23.
- Sharman Kadish, Jewish Heritage in Gibraltar: An Architectural Guide, Spire books, Reading, 2007, p. 42