Disability History Month
In the United Kingdom, an unofficial Disability History Month is observed by participating individuals and organizations. It was first marked in 2010 and annually scheduled to run from November 22 to December 22.
Chapter 6 of the Massachusetts General Laws directs that the Governor of Massachusetts "shall annually issue a proclamation setting apart the month of October as Disability History Month to increase awareness and understanding of the contributions made by persons with disabilities".
In the state of Washington, October is a statutorily designated civic holiday called Disability History Month and codified in Title 28A of the Revised Code of Washington. In addition to the ceremonial designation, the law also requires that "each public school shall conduct or promote educational activities that provide instruction, awareness, and understanding of disability history and people with disabilities".
The 82nd Texas Legislature statutorily designated October as a recurring, month-long civic holiday called "Persons with Disabilities History and Awareness Month" to "encourage public schools and state agencies to celebrate the accomplishments of people with disabilities, highlighting the achievements of Texans with disabilities who made significant contributions to the state and the extraordinary Americans who led the way in the disability rights movement".
- Tracey, Emma (December 3, 2013). "Disability History Month: Unpacking medieval myths". BBC News. Retrieved January 5, 2018.
- "Resources for educators about Disability History" (PDF). Idaho Council on Developmental Disabilities. State of Idaho. Retrieved January 5, 2018.
- "A Brief History of Disability In the United States and Massachusetts" (PDF). mass.gov. Massachusetts Office on Disability. Retrieved January 5, 2018.
- "Disability history month—Activities". Revised Code of Washington. State of Washington. Retrieved January 5, 2018.
- "Washington State Civic Observances". OSPI. Washington State Superintendent of Public Instruction. Retrieved January 5, 2018.
- "October is Disability History Month". washington.edu. University of Washington. Retrieved January 5, 2018.
- "Texas Persons with Disabilities History and Awareness Month". Office of the Governor. State of Texas. Retrieved January 5, 2018.
- "The Disability Law & Policy e-Newsletter". Law, Health Policy & Disability Center. University of Iowa. Retrieved January 5, 2018.