1960 in India
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
List of years in India|
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1960 in the Republic of India.(post Independence period)
- President of India – Rajendra Prasad
- Prime Minister of India – Jawaharlal Nehru
- Chief Justice of India – Bhuvaneshwar Prasad Sinha
- 1 May - Gujarat State and Maharashtra State are formed from the State of Bombay as laid down by the States Reorganisation Act.
- 1 May – In India, 1 May is declared as 'Maharashtra Divas', i.e., Maharashtra Day (the same day is also celebrated as 'Kaamgaar Divas', i.e., Workers Day) or 'Gujarat Diwas'.
- 1 May - Yashwantrao Chavan took oath as the 1st Chief Minister of Maharashtra
- 20 June – Maharashtra State Electricity Board formed.
- The ninth amendments of the Constitution of India
Full date unknown
- Air India enters United States with flights to New York.
- Bajaj Auto goes public.
- Goa,Diu and Daman were freed from Portuguese rule and became parts of Indian federation
- 25 June – Suresh Gopi, actor.
- 11 July – Kumar Gaurav, actor.
- 13 September – Karthik Muthuraman, actor.
- 30 January – J. C. Kumarappa, economist (born 1892).
- 2 February – Jagadguru Swami Sri Bharati Krishna Tirthaji Maharaja, Hindu teacher (born 1884).
- 20 April – Pannalal Ghosh, flute (bānsurī) player and composer (born 1911).
- 27 April – Rajshekhar Basu, writer, chemist and lexicographer (born 1880).